Monday, March 18, 2013

More Closet Creations

Well, here I go again.  Thought I would make a card for the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals challenge.  While I was cutting some petals to use on another failed project, using lavender mulberry paper, I noticed how they resembled the purple coneflowers which have been taking over my perennial bed.  I just had to make them into something.

I started by die cutting the medium daisy-looking flower from the Tattered Florals die from lavendar mulberry paper.  I folded each flower in half, sprayed them with Perfect Pearl Mist, followed immediately by Dylusions crushed grape spray and allowed them to dry while I worked on the background. I guess it would have been easier to just ink the paper first, but I didn't know where I was going with this. And by cutting them first, then folding and then spraying, I think I got more of a shadowed effect as the flowers would appear in real life.

For my background I chose a watercolor card.  I used the ink applicator with Broken China and Shabby Shutters Distress Ink applied to top and bottom of card respectively and misted with water to blend.  I then used my stencil I accidentally made from Shrink plastic using the negative space of a die cut daisy-like Tattered Floral flower and swished in a little Milled Lavender Distress Ink with the applicator to create a shadow.  You can barely see it in the photo above. When the entire thing dried, I applied a little Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint for shadowing.

Next I determined where my coneflowers would go (but didn't glue them down yet) and stamped the sentiment and butterflies using Archival Ink.  I had to stamp a second large butterfly due to operator error in  stamping on the background.  This I cut out and used pop dots to apply it over the original stamped butterfly.  Butterflies were painted using a water brush filled with Dylusions ink.  Using a water brush with just water and the Peeled Paint Ink pad, I brushed strokes for the flower stems.  I stamped a few leaves with the Distress Ink and colored them in with the same Peeled Paint.

To finish the card off, I glued on my coneflowers and stamped in flower centers using Archival Ink and a yardsale stamp.  I thought it needed just a touch more, so I cut another flower using Tattered Florals medium daisy-like flower from a piece of wrap the pears from Harry and David come in.  From this I cut off a couple of petals and used them as leaves. They were glued on the card.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it. Sorry for the poor photography; I'm learning. It evokes thoughts of summer flowers not far off here in the south.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the love you left on my blog. The punch I used for the middle of my flower is the McGill sun punch. I got it at Joanns.. Here is the link.
    http://www.joann.com/mcgill-paper-blossoms-lever-punch-sun-for-peony/zprd_10769388a/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot to write how much I love this card!!! It is so beautiful and thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete